Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Badland (iOS)


Badland. (C3PO voice:) And it came so highly recommended....

It's a beautiful looking game, no doubt: colourful backgrounds, rich in detail, a silhouetted foreground that is brought to life by sound effects and physics. The gameplay is simple, touch anywhere on the screen and you will float up, let go and you'll float down - the controls are smooth. The screen scrolls constantly - if it catches you you lose (but only until the last checkpoint, no worries)


You bump your little pom-pom creature though the level, collecting different upgrades that change his attributes, size or even clone him (ending up with a cloud of pom-poms) - the screen always follows whichever creature is furthest ahead, so it's OK if you lose a couple. Sometimes if you don't shrink him down enough he wont fit though, if he's too small he might not be able to push something out of the way.


All in all it's a good game. It seems to borrow it's looks from Limbo, a bit of it's concept from games like World of Goo and Jetpack Joyride -  the single button works well (especially for dad's using one hand to put their baby to bed by the way). I ended up deleting it though, it just seemed too repetitive and predictable... too easy.... but I would recommend it to people, especially "non-gamers" looking for something to try on their iPhones. I've got a couple other one button, or no button games I'd rather play - and I still have to check out Tiny Wings.

By the way, it's usually €3.60 - which I found a little steep, but there seems to be quite a few levels and no in-app-purchases (which I commend them for) but I was happy I picked this one up for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment