Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Where Is My Heart (PC)


"We are a family of monsters."



Where Is My Heart is something I have been wanting to play for a long time; it was originally only a PSP, so I just had to wait and hope that it would finally come to PC.


The game is from "Die Gute Fabrik" and I'd rather just quote their description of the game than try to do so myself : "In Where is my Heart? you play the story of a family of forest spirits. Their world gets broken up into fragments which you have to piece back together in your mind. Each of the three characters can transform into a magical creature along the way. The Rainbow Spirit allows you to rotate the world around and jump across space; the Bat King can see hidden platforms which only exist for him; the Antler Ancestor can jump on the stars. Help the three spirits find their home tree again!"

"We are lost and it is getting dark"


The art style and the music are both so cute and at first it's fun and calming.


But things soon get tricky....

"I am the Rainbow Spirit of True Sorrow."


View of the same level at night - using the Antler Ancestor.

"One day I will be living the life I want to live."


Everything is fragmented, broken, it's up to you to navigate these levels and learn how each of the pieces work together.


Things can get pretty confusing - but there are clever hints along the way - rainbows here show you their relation to the other blocks, sometimes the hearts help or bats.

I also love the little poetic titles for each level :

"My antlers are strong like the stars"


The Bat King shows you hidden objects and platforms so help you solve the puzzles.

The short playtime and cuteness means that I can play this while my kids are around - or sit down to beat a few levels in the evening. The only thing disappointing about this game so far would have to be the lack of controller support on PC (Steam) - it would be much more fun if I didn't have to huddle over my laptop keyboard to play.

Just a thought : some of the soundeffects remind me or Eliss Infinity.... I am still trying to find out if there is a real connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment