Monday, November 4, 2013

Slender - The Eight Pages (PC)


I don't usually play games simply with the intention of scaring myself, but that is what I set out to do with Slender. Shocks in horror movies usually don't me, because I am concentrating on how they angled their camera or trying to guess the plot the whole time and don't really let my guard down, but in Slender you have to interact with the world and therefore you are far more vulnerable.

You're in a dark forest with only a flashlight, which I later found out has only a limited amount of battery power - you can lower your flashlight to run but are otherwise walking very very slowly through the dark woods looking for the "eight pages." Just when you think 'hey, this isn't so bad....' a new soundeffect comes into the mix, a heart beat which makes your own heart beat, you begin checking behind yourself more although it's getting darker and you aren't quite sure what you are seeing....

I'll admit the first time I saw the Slenderman it gave me quite a jolt - it was pretty electric, all the hair stood up on my neck, arms and back and my heart was pumping after that! On my second attempt (still under the adrenalin of the first) I found myself more frustrated with the slowness of the game and the confusing map which felt like everything had moved (and probably had) and I bumped into the Slenderman on the second or third page again and I just found myself playfully dodging him around corners for a bit before I got bored and decided to walk on. After walking aimlessly until my battery died in my flashlight I called it quits and walked right towards him.

I had felt the shock effect of the game, but wasn't really interested in the actual gameplay. Still memorable, but without really good gameplay I doubt that many have played it more than once.


No comments:

Post a Comment