Monday, December 30, 2013

Spending Money

Despite having next to no time to game, and my despite my computers currently being used for crypto-currency mining, I still have managed to just about bankrupt myself with Steam sales.  I just can't stop.  The deals are too good.  Somebody, anybody, please help me.

On another note, I have my Pentium III 'RetroBox' up and running now.  I was having issues with it freezing intermittently which I think was being caused by a faulty USB port.  I have since picked up at PS/2 keyboard and mouse to use and I don't seem to be having any issues (knock on wood!).  It's loaded with Windows 98 and will be a project rig for running vintage software on.  I have dabbled with programs like VMWare and VirtualBox, but I wasn't always able to get certain games running due to the constraints of the virtual environment.  I'm hoping that having a dedicated box with dedicated hardware will remedy this situation.  I also have a P4 box which I'm trying to bring back from the dead, although in all honesty I'm not really sure why as P4 boxes are still pretty common today.  It does have a ZIP drive though which is something I've always thought was kind of cool (ever since I couldn't fit AltecApollyon's copy of SimCity 2000 on to a normal 1.44MB diskette).

I've also been busy attempting to digitize the analog media I had lying around.  I'm through all of my VHS tapes now, so I just have Hi-8 and cassette tapes to go through.  Once I have everything digitized I can start editing and hopefully getting some stuff posted to the web.  Alright, I've got 20 minutes?  I'll just pop in a tape and let my Hauppage encoder do the heavy lifting.

I'm hoping to pump out some new content in the new year as I'm slowly adjusting to having an infant in the house and he's slowly adjusting to his rather bizarre father.  I'm excited to get going on the MAME project again as I ordered buttons and joysticks, and just recently acquired some more tools to allow me to fabricate a control panel from scratch.  That'll have to wait though as it's about -19 degrees celsius here today and my garage isn't heated.

Anyhow, here's to my peeps in the streets who are essentially game collectors and not gamers thanks to Steam's ridiculous sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment