Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bit Dungeon

I read about Bit Dungeon a while back, when it was only for the iPad. At the time I didn't have an iPad so I forgot about it, until they released the iPhone version. However I didn't really see a reason to rush off and buy it - my iPhone already has pages of unplayed games I want to check out and more then a few rogue-likes.
Today Bit Dungeon is free and I have been a little bored with the offerings on my phone so I checked it out during some downtime at work : it's awesome.
I'm only on my 2nd character (first one died rather quickly) but here's what I know:
The game doesn't insult your intelligence by putting you through a 20min tutorial. It doesn't have a bunch of pop-ups for Facebook-linking or try to sell you some stupid coins!
You travers each room and battle some monsters, some drop potions for health and magic, others drop little black circles you use for buying stuff later, more likely they drop nothing. When all the monsters are killed you get a key and use it to open another door and make your way through the dungeon. If you just run trough you will die so you're going to want to grid a little, re-entering areas where you will find ghosts and rats eating the corpses of your fallen foes that you can kill. Sometimes after clearing a room three globes will appear and clicking one of them will up your stats: level up yo!
Which brings me to the details, the game does this very well, I've already seen different styles of attacks from different weapons, bloody footprints because I walked over a bloody corpse and my 2nd character had to fight a totally different set of baddies in the first dungeon meaning some of the dungeon generation is done randomly. Equipment you pick up shoes up on your character (ie. skull helmet equipped makes your character wear a skull helmet - not just upping his stats) and a quick click on the health globe shows that there is a bit of depth in the stats too!
The retro style looks great, the inventory shows slots for rings and magic (meaning its coming) and I finally found a place to save!
In short: this is a keeper, fast action (even with dodging projectiles) leveling up, interesting art style - combing dungeons for loot! On my iPhone! So I guess for a while ill be taking far more "extended bathroom breaks."

No comments:

Post a Comment