Friday, November 28, 2014

Geometry Wars 3 (PC)



In my opinion "Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved" is (was?) the best arcade shooter in the last 10 years. After the closing of the studio responsible for the challenging and balanced Xbox Live Arcade game, I gave up all hopes of ever having a PC port or a sequel. 


Now "Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions" is out, under the resurrected Sierra label and made by some of the people of the original Bizarre Creations team and even using some of the original code from Retro Evolved.

So far, I can't find anything to complain about....let me repeat that because I don't say this often : I can't find anything to complain about!


It borrows a lot of ideas and mechanics that have been used in arcade shooters since Retro Evolved - games that were trying to fill the void: Radiangames' Ballistic and Inferno (upgrading abilities, special fire modes and drones).




The biggest influence must have been Vertex Blaster (iOS), a cool Retro Evolved-homage that used the idea of playing on a sphere instead of a 2D plane.



I'm loving the new modes and boss fights and challenges that playing on a 3D shape bring and fighting over highscores and leaderboard standings in the Classic mode which is almost all of Retro Evolved rebuilt and rereleased. This game is bound to become a benchmark classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment